When we use Inquiry-based learning, the teacher acts as a facilitator rather than a purveyor of information (Fertig, 2013). When people really want to learn one skill, they cannot just read the textbook or watch others doing it without doing themselves.

I copied the above picture from Fertig’s blog because I think it clearly shows what Inquiry-based Learning actually is. There are five parts of Inquiry-based Learning — “Ask, Investigate, Create, Discuss, Reflect”. It is hard to be sure that we have mastered a skill thoroughly. Thus, Inquiry-Based Learning can be an endless cycle. Each part of the cycle is essential.

Our group’s topic is going to teach K-12 students to write code. In my opinion, Inquiry-based Learning could be one of the best approaches. My major is computer science. From my personal experience, it is hard to understand all the things which you may need about programming. Therefore, the five parts of Inquiry-based Learning could be useful. Every time when I need to write an assignment, I think I am going through these five steps myself. When our group needs to teach those students, we can show them the basic code they may need later. After that, we will give them a task, ask them how are they going to achieve it. Once they have their own ideas, they can start writing the codes. They can discuss their problems for this duration. When they think they finish it, they can test the code. If they get some errors, they can get help from us or figure it out themselves and try to do it again. After the activity, students will find pleasure in writing the code.

I think my plan is quite similar to Zian’s. I also like the four levels of Inquiry-based Learning that Zian summaries. It gives me a deeper understanding of Inquiry-based Learning. If our group is going to use the Inquiry-based Learning approach, I think I can ask for some advice from Zian.

.

Reference

Fertig, C. (2013). Inquiry-based Learning. Retrieved 30 May 2020, from http://peakeducationalresources.blogspot.com/2013/03/inquiry-based-learning.html?spref=tw