Photo by Chris Ried on Unsplash

Our group is going to teach K-12 students to write code. One of our activities is going to ask students to write a simple code and complete a task. We haven’t decided which programming language we are going to teach them; however, I think no matter what language we choose it could be a challenge for young students. Therefore, I think we need to find a way to help them to be able to write the codes themselves. I can think about two ways to solve this problem. The first one is we will write the code for them and explain the entire work to them. After the explanation, we will make sure they understand each lane of the code. If they all get the idea of the code, we will give them a new task. It will be a similar one, they don’t need to change too many things of the code. They may just need to change a few words or some numbers but the result will be printed out differently. If they can achieve this task very easily, we can ask them to explore more by themselves by giving them some hints. We also can use another way to teach them. We will teach them all the information that they may need to finish the task. This could be the simplest way to teach, but I am not sure those young students can pay attention during the entire time. The best way to learn is learning by doing it, and our goal is to let them enjoy writing code and have fun from it. Even though our group haven’t decided which way we are going to choose to teach students, I think they will have the same thought as me.

Before reading Yiwei’s post, I didn’t realize COVID-19 will affect our activities as well. Nevertheless, I think we also need to think about how to make our activities online. Hopefully, we don’t need to change many things.

Thanks for reading my prompt,

Xinran